FRIENDS OF ST. MARY’S
The Friends of St. Mary’s was formed in 1996 with the objective of helping to preserve the heritage of St. Mary’s Church and its churchyard for future generations.
Our Aims Are:
- To foster an interest in St. Mary’s church as an historic building and
- To assist financially in the preservation, maintenance and adornment of the church and its surroundings.
Recent Projects Funded by the Friends of St. Mary’s include:
- 1998 Lighting in Lady Chapel
- 1999 Renovation of Wall Memorials
- 2000 Restoration of Tower Clock
- 2003 Renovation of 1737 Thomas Warne Pipe Organ
- 2004 Restoration and Repair of Porch to Lady Chapel
- 2008 Installation of new loft insulation and access walkways to roof (during high-level deathwatch treatment)
- 2008 New ‘Celebration of Christ’ Stained Glass Window to Chancel
These aims can only be achieved through raising money to help fund major repairs and renovations when necessary. Our main source of income is through membership fees, a 200 club, donations, legacies and fund-raising events, such as BBQs, concerts, garden parties and coffee mornings.