Friends of St. Mary’s
The Friends of St. Mary’s was formed in 1996 with the objective of helping to preserve the heritage of St. Mary’s Church and its churchyard for future generations.
Our aims are:
- To foster an interest in St. Mary’s church as an historic building and
- To assist financially in the preservation, maintenance and adornment of the church and its surroundings
Recent projects funded by the Friends of St. Mary’s include:
- 1998 Lighting in Lady Chapel
- 1999 Renovation of Wall Memorials
- 2000 Restoration of Tower Clock
- 2003 Renovation of 1737 Thomas Warne pipe organ
- 2004 Restoration and repair of Porch to Lady Chapel
- 2008 Installation of new loft insulation and access walkways to roof (during high-level deathwatch treatment)
- 2008 New ‘Celebration of Christ’ Stained Glass Window to Chancel
These aims can only be achieved through raising money to help fund major repairs and renovations when necessary. Our main source of income is through membership fees, a 200 club, donations, legacies and fund-raising events, such as BBQs, concerts, garden parties and coffee mornings.
Please consider becoming a Friend of St. Mary’s
Membership is open to all who have an interest in furthering the aims and objectives of the Friends with a minimum annual fee of just £5 for individuals, £8 for families and £50 for life membership.
For more information contact our Secretary, Hilary Davison on 01531 820240
Charity Commission Registration 1052908
President: Mr. Fred Passant, 4 Glebe Close, Newent GL18 1BQ
Chair: Mrs Ann Keene, The Moat, Newent GL18 1JG
Hon Treasurer: Mr. Paul Reynaert, Kingscott Dix & Company, 60 Kings Walk, Gloucester GL1 1LA
Secretary: Mrs Hilary Davison, Ploddy House, Newent. GL18 1JX